Friday, December 5, 2008

The Friday Whine. Wer iz mah cheez?

  1. Apparently the Oprah show that aired yesterday was all about various people that had been victims of internet (e-mail & web) and phone scams. Fortunately, I was not subject to having to watch it first hand. Rather, I was given the abbreviated version which similarly made me want to vomit. The victims included (1) a woman who fell trap to a man who claimed to be a war veteran via random phone call who needed $10,000 for a surgery, (2) a woman who accepted a marriage proposal via e-mail and sent gobs of money to her future husband, and (3) a boatload of individuals who sent their 'jewelry in for cash' and subsequently never received any cash in return. These are just a few examples as I have chosen NOT to recall or waste my brain cells remembering. The name of the episode should have been called "Morons in your neighborhood". Please take away their phones, computers and access to money.
  2. I've read some pretty ridiculous sports columns in my life (thanks to Pat Forde, Trev Alberts, and Peter King) but for some reason, the article I scanned over last night written by Jeffrey Martin made me want to throw my iBook through my window. He wrote a circular argument regarding why the "Sooners earned the Big12 South" by using the following as the crux: "it's not if you lose, it's when you lose". Now, let me reiterate the fact that he is saying Oklahoma EARNED the rights to the Big12 South. I don't understand. You don't EARN anything by losing. You LOSE by losing. Earning is defined as the result of gain through work/labor. Losing early has no explicit correlation with the definition of 'earn'. After all, "gain" & "lose" are antonyms (unless FoxSports has differing definitions). This bothers me greatly but I suppose it's the bullshit that we, as free Americans with rights to free speech, have to deal with. However, perhaps there should be legislation against idiots publishing their work. What was I doing reading FoxSports anyway?
  3. I think I've exhausted this topic previously, but I just want to add that I think it's complete and utter bullshit that Notre Dame is presumably giving Charlie Weis another year to "turn things around" when Bob Davie and Tyrone Willingham (I know it was because he is black) were not given similar opportunities. I don't even want to start on the multimillion dollar contract extension that Weis received. The offensive genius has posted records of 3-9 and 6-6 following the universities generous contribution to his buffet line. Just for fun, look at ND's 2009-2010 schedule. It's clear that they want to win and compete against mediocrity.
  4. I'll never understand people who need to smoke on their way to work (in the car) at 6am-7am. Never.
  5. I'll never understand people who think eating a four-course meal from McD's is safe (or appropriate ) while driving in the morning traffic...
  6. Why do people stop/slow down to observe traffic accidents? Why???
  7. Allergies suck & I hate frigid weather.
  8. The ratio of obese to non-obese in the office building I work at is at least 10 to 1. It is obvious that skinny people come here to die.
  9. This is the first holiday season where I've actually felt stress from a financial perspective. Next year probably won't be any better.
  10. I'm tired.
Sorry this blog entry sucked. I'll try harder next time.

No comments: