Monday, December 22, 2008

2008 Fantasy Football Recap

My vote for NFL MVP.. .and my fantasy team MVP...

I participated in two fantasy football leagues this year (one $$$, one $0.00) as well as a "pick 'em" league where I'm going to finish out of the money, but in the top 10. In the non-$-league, I've half-assed my way into third place. Joseph Addai was the biggest bust and Matt Forte was the biggest surprise. It would have been huge to have secured Forte in my pay-league... But that was not the case. In retrospect, I could have gotten him... Anyway, I wanted to embellish on what was a rollercoaster of a ride that left the gate back in early September and has since ended with the League Championship! Points-race TBD... (I'm 40 points back from first place and 10 points from second.)

SThe draft is instrumental, but certainly not the end-all-be-all (Note - I drafted 10 of 10). It's your chance to secure the crux of your team but as well all know, injuries (ala Tom Brady), busts (ala Joseph Addai) and surprises (ala DeAngelo Williams) can durastically alter the complexion of your squad from the get-go. As previously stated in September (my post-draft preseason preview and draft results), I felt very good about my QB, WR, and TE slots but my RB situation was left with much more to be desired. In hindsight, it would have behooved me to have selected a Matt Forte, LenDale White, Chris Johnson or DeAngelo Williams instead of Maroney, Taylor or S. Young. For those of you keeping score, here are the RBs that participated in e-roc's 2008 game of  running back roulette. The top four are currently on the roster:
  1. Steve Slaton (Hou)
  2. Pierre Thomas (NO)
  3. Jonathon Stewart (Car)
  4. Leon Washington (NYJ)
  5. Peyton Hillis (Den) - IR
  6. Ryan Torain (Den) - IR
  7. Selvin Young (Den) - original draft pick
  8. Cadillac Williams (TB)
  9. Cedric Benson (Cin)
  10. BJGE aka "Law Firm" (NE)
  11. Laurence Maroney (NE) - original draft pick
  12. Ray Rice (Bal)
  13. LeRon McClain (Bal)
  14. Kevin Smith (Det) - should have kept
  15. Ricky Williams (Mia)
  16. Dominic Rhodes (Ind) - should have kept
  17. Melwelde Moore (Pit)
  18. Ahman Green (Hou)
  19. Julius Jones (Sea)
  20. Fred Taylor (Jax) - original draft pick
  21. Maurice Morris (Sea) - original draft pick
  22. Deuce McAllister (NO)
Your eyes do not deceive you. I was swapping players on a weekly, if not bi-weekly, basis hoping for a player to blow-up. It should be noted that Pierre Thomas was riding the pine during his explosion against the Bears and Falcons. Needless to say, the lesson to be learned is that free agency can save your season and win you a championship. 

For those that care, here was the final roster (starters denoted with *)... Yes, Reggie Wayne was supposed to be starting, but I f'd up something earlier in the week... 
  • Quarterbacks - Peyton Manning*, Tyler Thigpen, Jeff Garcia
  • Runningbacks - Slaton*, Thomas*, Stewart, Washington
  • Wide Receivers - Antonio Bryant*, Anquan Boldin, Brandon Marshall*, Reggie Wayne, Torry Holt* (should have kept Hixon)
  • TEs - Antonio Gates* and Owen Daniels (Unchanged!! But I will admit owning Donte Rosario for one week)
  • Kickers - Jason Elam*, John Kasay (I won't mention how many different K's I owned..)
  • Defense - Eagles*, Falcons
This roster will change again heading into week 17 as Manning and Wayne will probably be benchwarmers at best against the Tennessee Titans (who will also be resting starters)... Good thing I have Thigpen and Bryant!

Awards:
  • League Champ - You Want Rice Noodle (193 to 125)
  • Points Champ - TBD after Week 17
  • MVP - Peyton Manning. He started slow and even struggled against teams like Cleveland, but during the fantasy football playoffs, he was stellar, most notably recently in Weeks 15 & 16. In retrospect, Drew Brees would have been the better pick (more consistent, most points) but I won't argue with his performance as of late.
  • MVFA (Most Valuable Free Agent) - I'm going to call this a tie between Steve Slaton and Antonio Bryant. Slaton may get the edge considering all the troubles I was having at RB but Bryant stepped in this week for an ailing Boldin and registered the highest non-QB point total. I also had him benched during his 200-yard breakout performance against the Panthers, but at least no one else had him...
  • Thank You for Attending - Antonio Gates. After a big fat ZERO in week 15, he came through with 40 yds and two TDs.  Arguably, I could have started Owen Daniels who had a monster game against Oakland.
  • Wish You Were Here - Issac Bruce. I dropped him way too early in the season, prior to Shaun Hill's ascension to starter and fantasy football starter-dom. He would have come in handy through the Bye Weeks disaster that tries to ruin all of our seasons.
  • Sorry I Missed You - Matt Forte. I really should have drafted Forte instead of Maroney as my #1 running back pick. I might be in the points lead with a top-5 RB...
Looking forward to next year!

No comments: