Friday, August 8, 2008

Random (B@W)

Just trying to stay consistent this week. Consistently bored out of my mind.

Anyway... onto today's sports-centered (nothing ESP-in related) musings:

Barstool Sports: If not for the strict firewall here in the office, I would be able to enjoy the glorious Yankee-hater columns, smokeshows and girls that I wouldn't mind waking up to... I was inspired to post here after a hasty Google-search of Melissa Satta left me drooling. Unbelievable body. Search for yourself if you don't believe me.

NCAA Football 2009: I wish I had a PS3 or an XBox360. LD, thanks for the heads-up on the XBox, at $299, those things were gone before I could get home to a computer.
  • Graphics: the graphics leave more to be desired for on the PS2 console. Standard composite A/V cables don't get it done anymore... Component = HD friendly. Composite = Nintendo, anyone?
  • Game-play: the game plays just like the previous 3-4 version of the game. Player control is a little stickier than the Madden series, but the setup is the same. The college game also features a color "stamina" status for each player. It helps when you want to pick on the already slow LB who's got man-coverage on Brandon Saine (95 speed) or Lamaar Thomas (96 speed) running out of the backfield. From my experience and other forums I've read, defense gets the short end of the stick. Specifically pass-defense. I've been the least successful in defending against the pass but it's worth noting that I've allowed zero TDs thus far. I've tried to take a NY G-men approach (pressure the shit out of the QB) which has been mildly effective.
  • Rosters: I'm convinced that the guy who did the final QC on the rosters is color blind or racist. I've had to change the skin color on four of my beloved Buckeyes... I want my money back. I also have some complaints about certain players being underrated. Can't think of the guys off the top of my head, but just like with Madden, there are notable inconsistencies across the board. I recommend putting a group of college football addicts in a room and having them hash out player ratings with a weapon of choice (see: Geek Prospectus Friday Question). The alternative is spending an hour adjusting your own player ratings to your liking prior to starting your off-line dynasty. Less bloodshed... and also less fun.
  • On-Line Play: No comment because I don't have the capability/equipment to participate. Maybe someday.
  • Chris "Beanie" Wells: The Ohio State running back (aka. RB #28) can be compared to a freight train, Earth-sized bowling ball, or Optimus Prime in semi-truck form. He has an unreal combination of speed and power (enhanced with use of the 'truck-stick' during game-play) with the ability to run through linebackers and run past safeties. This man among boys can be occassionally tackled by a 5'10", 170lb defense back. WHAT?
  • Sounds & Music: I'm glad Brent Musburger isn't a commentator. You should have the option to adjust volume and frequency by commentator. Brad Nessler voice is useful. Lee Corso should be muted. Kirk Herbie should talk less. Love the fight songs.
  • Overall: it's a college football computer game. I'm sold. My only true complaint is the sloth-like processing speed of the PS2... fortunately, game play is not affected by this travesty.
I recant on my earlier comment about ESP-in. I like the fact that there's a show I can watch for replays of games and what not, but I could really do without the exhaustive reports (i.e. Favre, T.O., Barry Bonds, etc.). WE GET IT. TELL US WHEN IT'S OVER. WE DON'T NEED A DAILY (or hourly, or minute by minute) UPDATE!

On that note, I'm off to golf this afternoon and the weather is perfect. $18 for 18 holes with cart and a 6 for $12 beer special. We didn't have that in Myanmar...

No comments: