Monday, August 18, 2008

I Need These (Daily 5)

I moved into my new apartment this weekend. It's a quiant, two-bedroom townhome that rents for a ridiculously affordable $660/month. Though I'm on track to save $75/month just by moving (my previous rental rate was $735/month), that $75 has already been reallocated towards a "family" membership at the local high-end fitness center... On a semi-related note, the "raise" I received earlier this year, has been reallocated towards my golf-addiction. Anyway, this was a very introduction to today's Daily 5 which all require money:

1. Washer & dryer - I've been advised that this is a good investment, especially if you're willing to pay the extra $200-$300 up-front to get the more energy efficient models. In the long run (i.e. a one-year horizon), you break-even on your energy bill and everything after that is gravy. I'm tempted, but I also don't have $2,000 sitting around. I don't have a washer-dryer now, and once my fiance' (who lives down the street) moves back home, I'll be washer-dryer-less and I'll have to buy the set. Estimated cost: $1,500 to $2,000.

2. XBox360 or PS3 - I might as well be living in the Mesozoic era. I don't have either of these consoles and therefore, have no gaming platform to complement an HDTV. This is extremely disheartening for a sports-gamer like myself. NCAA Football and Madden just aren't the same... and I feel like I'm still in college (I had the same PS2 in college). If somehow I end up with a PS3, I'll be BluRay ready too.. Estimated cost: $350-$400.

3. Wedding Band(s) - We haven't figured out who's paying for what.. but it's not like our families are going to buy these for us. Estimated cost: $1,000-$?,???.

4. Golf Bag - I currently carry a golf bag that only have four pockets which creates a lot more "bag chatter" than necessary. It has plenty of compartments for tees, balls, etc., however, I would very much like to upgrade to a bag with 8-13 pockets. Estimated cost: $89-$200.

5. Dining Table/Bar - Two bar stools, no table. Food will be consumed in the living room. Estimated cost: $150-$250

I admit, item number 1 & 5 make me sound old and boring.


Yours for the low price of $1,100... just the washer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey e-roc, if you're a sports gamer you definitely do need to get a next-gen system. I got a PS3 a few weeks ago and it plays great.

I wanted to let you know about this Stacker 2 contest going on where you could win a 360 or PS3 (your choice), a copy or the game Rise of the Argonauts, a year's supply of 6 Hour Power energy shots, and more. There are less than 170 entrants so far so chances of winning seem to be pretty decent. All you have to do is design a t-shirt (and you don't have to be a fashion expert to do this). Check out the contest details here: http://www.brickfish.com/Entertainment/Stacker2?tab=overview

Let me know if you have any questions. By the way, I hope you don't mind me commenting on your blog. If you enter, feel free to send me an e-mail and I'd be happy to vote for your design. Good luck.

Franklin Keane
www.6hrpower.com
Franklin6hrpower@gmail.com